Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Required Reading. To be honest, I don't know who to give credit for getting me to read this commencement speech. Someone tweeted a link to this 6th floor blog post this week and I read it on my phone screen, sitting in the back room at work. And I loved it. George Saunders has some solid advice about success and kindness here, advice that I myself need to hear from time to time. So, take a moment, put down your "I already know everything" attitude (c'mon, I know you've got one, I can't possibly be the only person who suffers from this condition), and read this lovely piece.

Down through the ages, a traditional form has evolved for this type of speech, which is: Some old fart, his best years behind him, who over the course of his life, has made a series of dreadful mistakes (that would be me), gives heartfelt advice to a group of shining, energetic young people, with all of their best years ahead of them (that would be you).

And I intend to respect that tradition.

Now, one useful thing you can do with an old person, in addition to borrowing money from them, or asking them to do one of their old-time "dances," so you can watch, while laughing, is ask: "Looking back, what do you regret?" And they'll tell you. Sometimes, as you know, they'll tell you even if you haven't asked. Sometimes, even when you've specifically requested they not tell you, they'll tell you.

[KEEP READING]

No comments:

Post a Comment